1) The first thing we check is the Motor which is the most expensive item in your headstock. Additionally we’ll replace motor bearings with ones that are sealed on both sides (made in USA).
2) Next we check the Internal Start Switch in the motor and Capacitor, replacing if necessary.
3) Then we fully disassemble the headstock including the Quill Advance Shaft with spring.
4) Next we clean Sheaves, Speed Control Assembly and Speed Dial with our ultrasonic cleaner. Other parts are cleaned with liquid brake cleaner spray.
5) We remove accumulated dirt and grease with wire wheel from the Quill/Spindle and Quadrant Teeth (Part of your Speed Control Assembly).
6) After cleaning, we wash the parts with water and air dry with the air hose. Once clean, we inspect each part for wear and determine whether it requires replacement or servicing.
7) Next we clean inside the headstock with a rag and air hose (to ensure the best operation we also rigorously clean the Quill/Spindle area with liquid break cleaner along with the Belt Cover and Motor Pan).
8) We then wax the Quill/Spindle and it’s housing inside your headstock. Waiting for 5 minutes and then wiping off the excess wax from both, this ensures the quill/spindle will smoothly glide as it rotates and lasts a long time in your headstock).
9) Next we re-assemble all parts in the headstock, replacing missing/damaged parts (We always call you if a major part needs replacing).
*Note: We only use New Factory (Shopsmith brand) parts during our repairs this includes the Power Switch, Power Cord, Idler Shaft and Control Sheave with it’s bearing). In cases where the customer wants to reduce overall price I will offer a used Shopsmith part that I have refurbished (if inventory allows).
10) Lastly we do a full running test of the completed headstock. First we check speed settings on the unit ensuring your RPMs match each setting based on Shopsmith Factory Standards. The correct way it to set Fast to 5200 RPMs (per the Factory) and then check several letters to verify they are the correct speed. We use a digital tachometer for this. Finally we run from Slow to Fast checking for any strange noises that may require further calibration.
*If approved by the customer, we’ll even replace factory stickers on the headstock and apply a fresh coat of paint.